Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Reproduction Fabric a Match?


Today in the mail the "exact match" fabric arrived from SMS Auto Fabrics. I was rather disappointed that they did not also send a sample of the matching vinyl. They list the vinyl as an exact match too, but since I have nearly perfect vinyl, it would have been great to see them side by side before shelling out $55 a yard. At first I was extremely dubious about the fabric being even close, but after studying the fabrics together I started to think that maybe it really was a match. Thinking it is a match means that my original fabric has faded massively. Going on the assumption that the reproduction colors are correct, then it is only the strip width that is off just a little. On the new fabric, the stripes are just a tiny bit too wide. I am hopeful I can get a picture from someone with better condition original fabric. $95 a yard is not cheap, but may be worth it if it is truly close to original. I now need to weigh the cost of the fabric and installation along with the many other things I want to do over the winter. Time and money are limited, and paycheck to paycheck I want to get done what I can so come spring I am not driving the car sitting on a milk crate, stopping with my feet.

Here is the Hudson forum discussion.

1 comment: