Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Seat covers on seat covers










I have more things I want to and need to do to the Hudson than I can shake a stick at. So, since I was unable to decide on anything else, I decided to uncover the seats original fabric.

The bad news is that both of the seat bottoms are pretty much shot. The fabric is very torn up on the front seat bottom and the foam is disintegrating. The back seat bottom only has a couple of tears in it but the fabric really feels dry-rotted. If pressure is applied to it, you can hear it tearing. The back seat bottom is also missing the buttons.

The good news are the seat backs. The back seat back is in perfect condition. The front seat back is in decent shape with about 1/4 of the seat (drivers side) showing heavy wear and ripping. The vinyl on all of the seats is in darn good shape. I assume it is faded, but without something to compare it to, it is hard to tell.

An interesting find was that the front seat back was covered in two layers of fabric in addition to the original.

I have fabric samples coming from smsautofabrics.com that are suppose to be dead on. I am also working with Rick Monroe on the idea of preserving as much as we can instead of just replacing. I am mildly optimistic that we can save some of the original material.

1 comment: