Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Installing electronic ignition system

I ordered a Pertronix Ignitor to replace my points and a Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil with the intention to install them myself. It was not terrible, but not as easy as I had hoped for.I also put in new spark plugs (Champion H10s) and new plug wires.

The Ignitor kit I used for my 12V negative ground systems was the 1362.





Here is a picture of the distributor with the points removed. You can still see the condenser on the left. I was later removed. The only real trouble with the install is the little L shaped plate on the right with the screw in it. To install the system, the rivets on the L bracket need to be drilled and removed to make room for the Ignitor module. I did this with the distributor in place, but I would recommend anyone looking at doing this to take it out first.





Here is a picture of the Distributor with the Pertronix Ignitor installed.






Here is a pictures of the new coil and distributor all buttoned up. I might just be in my head, but I really do think it runs better and definitely idles smoother.







Here is the discussion in the Hudson Forum

No comments:

Post a Comment