Saturday, July 24, 2010

Little Signs point to big problems

There have been a number of small issues that have built to critical mass. I have what appears to be a blown head gasket (foaming coolant & disappearing oil), a engine knock every time I accelerate hard or uphill, plenty of oil drips, and a distributor chewing itself up. I was told the engine was rebuilt once before, but I have no more information than that.

I could try and do band-aid fixes, replace head gasket & distributor, drive it easy and cross my fingers about the knock and hope it was just bad engine timing, ignore the oil leaks,  and why the head gasket blew in the first place.
or
I can have the engine rebuilt.

I am strongly leaning towards rebuilding, am located in South East MN, and don't have any mechanics I trust to do more than maintenance on my car. Doug Wildrick has been recommended to me by someone I trust. I plan on talking to Doug see if he is interested & willing and also to get an idea of the cost. None of this can happen until I find steady work, hopefully in the next few months. No matter what, I have a feeling the Hudson will not be moving under it own power again this summer.

I am a bit shaken that I am talking about rebuilding the engine only 6 months after buying what I thought was a rock solid car, but I am determined to help my Hudson survive another generation and hopefully be my son's or daughter's someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment